“The Monroe County Poor-House – This institution, situated near the city of Rochester, was completed and occupied near the close of the past year. It consists of a centre building and two wings, each connected with the former by fire-proof corridors. The centre building is forty-five feet square, and is three stories besides the basement and a high attic. It is occupied by the warden and family, and also furnishes room for offices.
The wings each have a width of seventy-one feet in front, forty-nine feet in rear, and a depth of 102 feet. They are both three stories high, and nearly alike in their structure and arrangement. The left is occupied by males and the right by females. The third story of the whole front is used as a hospital. In the rear of the centre structure there is a building thirty feet wide and sixty feet long. The basement of this is used for general kitchen purposes, the first floor for laundry, etc., and the second for the hospital kitchen. The entire edifice has a front of 238 feet, and is 105 feet deep.
The basement is built of stone, and the stories above of brick, with partition walls of the same material. The roofs are of slate and the cornices of iron. The floors are of oak and maple, and the stairways of iron, and fire-proof. All the rooms are high and well ventilated. The edifice is plain, substantial and well built, and is appropriately arranged and furnished for its purposes. The entire cost of the building, including steam-heating, plumbing, etc., it is reported, was $71,000. It will accommodate and suitably classify five hundred inmates.”
SOURCE: Sixth Annual Report of The Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities of the State of New York To Which Is Appended The Report Of The Secretary Of The Board, Transmitted to the Legislature January 28, 1873, Albany: The Argus Company, Printers, 1873, Pages 84, 86, 87.