The State Charities Aid Association, S.C.A.A., was founded in 1872. The S.C.A.A. inspected all charitable institutions that included all New York State Hospitals, Custodial Institutions for the Feeble-Minded, Prisons, Tuberculosis Hospitals, County Poor Houses, Polio Clinics, Houses of Refuge, and Orphanages. Charity Organization Societies (COS), were part of the “scientific charity movement” that began in the late nineteenth century. S.C.A.A. News, Volumes 3-11, 1915 through 1923 is a TREASURE TROVE of information and photographs!
“Brief Facts About State Charities Aid Association:
The object of the State Charities Aid Association, which is a voluntary body of citizens of New York State, is to improve conditions in public institutions and to promote public health and child care.
It is an incorporated body, State-wide, but without State aid.
Its budget is about $329,000 a year, and is met by voluntary contributions.
It has 12,000 members; it has local committees in every county. Its volunteer visitors visit and inspect all public institutions. The Association employs abut 95 persons in its Central Office, and about 20 in the field. It devotes itself to the following objects:
Finding homes for destitute or orphaned children.
Assisting mothers with babies.
Preventing mental disorders and securing better care for the mentally sick and defective.
Visiting public institutions in order to improve conditions, to promote with welfare and comfort of patients and inmates.
Helping to provide suitable occupations for sick persons in hospitals and institutions.
Assisting in securing wise laws about public health, care of the sick, institutions, and the expenditure of public funds for these purposes.”
SOURCE: S.C.A.A. News, Published Monthly by The State Charities Aid Association, 105 East 22nd Street, New York, N.Y., Volume X, No. 9, June, 1922, Page 13.
1872 Miss Louisa Lee Schuyler – The State Charities Aid Association.