“There were nineteen insane in the poor house of Greene county. One was admitted in 1824, one in 1840, two in 1842, two in 1844, others were admitted at various periods since. Six were males and eleven females; sixteen were of native birth; sixteen were mild cases; twelve were of filthy habits; seven destructive, and six were confined to the house; four had been treated in an asylum; one was a cripple, and one a deaf mute. [The blank for further information was not returned, and doubtless there was an omission to send it to the county judge for distribution.]
The report of the committee on charitable institutions in 1857, reported as follows: “Six are confined in cells; five of them are in chains, including two women. They are restrained by confinement, and by wearing chains about their legs and arms. Some are chained to the wall. While visiting the house, the committee observed two men and one woman taken from their cells to the yard for air. There they were all chained to the fence, within a few feet of each other. Those confined in cells are without air, except from a small hole in the door. They are in a wretched state. None are cured or improved, a result certainly to be expected from their present treatment.” It is to be hoped that the condition of the institution and the care bestowed upon the unfortunate lunatics has improved since 1857.”
SOURCE: Documents of the Assembly Of The State Of New York, Eighty-Eighth Session, 1865, Volume 6, Nos. 199 to 112 Inclusive, Albany: C. Wendell, Legislative Printer, 1865, Page 195.